Sunday, April 13, 2008

Easter Week

HAPPY EASTER!

We had a wonderful Easter week and hope everyone else did as well! We got to do some of our favorite traditions, start some new ones, and even celebrate the weekend with Sergio's brother and family that came to visit all the way from Mexico.


Each night we did an activity to learn about the Savior's mission on earth and some of the things he did during the last week of his life. Here we are, all dressed up in our "traditional" garb, having a passover dinner. Elli loved trying all the different kinds of food. Ethan stuck with raisins and bread. He is not too adventurous when it comes to his food. We ate on the floor with candles. It was so much fun.
You can't have Easter without the Easter egg hunt. There is a way to get chocolate into just about every holiday. Here are the kids with the Hughes girls eating every last bit of candy they collected.

Here we are dying Easter eggs with Beto, Lorena, Betito, and Marifer. Dying eggs, Easter baskets, and Easter egg hunts were a completely new thing for them since they don't have those traditons in Mexico so it was an extra special Easter for all of us. It was so much fun to watch the excitement on the kids' faces.





Here are making and eating our resurrection rolls. This is my favorite Easter tradition. Here's the recipe for anyone who wants it. I love the symbolism. It really teaches the kids about what happened when the Savior was resurrected...and its simple and oh so delicious. I think I ate at least 4 or 5.

Ingredients:
Crescent rolls
melted butter
large marshmallows
cinnamon
sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Give each child a triangle of crescent rolls. The crescent roll represents the cloth that Jesus was wrapped in.

Give each child a marshmallow, this represents Jesus. Have them dip the marshmallow in melted butter, which represents the oils of embalming. Then
dip the buttered marshmallow in the cinnamon and sugar which represent the spices used to anoint the body.

Then wrap the coated marshmallow tightly in the crescent roll (not like a typical crescent roll up, but bring the sides up and seal the marshmallow
inside.) This represents the wrapping of Jesus' body after death.

Place in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. The oven represents the tomb.

When the rolls have cooled slightly, the children can open their rolls (cloth) and discover that Jesus is no longer there, He is risen. (The marshmallow and the crescent roll is puffed up, but empty.)

NOTE about Resurrection Rolls: I had problems the first time I made them. I re-did them last night and they worked. What I did was I cut the large marshmallow in half. Then instead of baking them on a cookie sheet I put them into cupcake papers and baked them in the muffin tin. They worked MUCH better and they were hollow inside. When I did it the first way with the whole marshmallow and on a cookie sheet, they oozed marshmallow everywhere and were not hollow).

3 comments:

TJ-n-Crystal said...

O how fun. What creative parent's you guys are. I am stoked to try the resurrection rolls that's for sure.

Jamie said...

You guys are such a great family. I love all of the Easter traditions!

Larry 'n' Juls said...

Wow, Sarah you are so cool! I love the passover dinner. You need to send me the recipies you used. I wish we still lived next door!